APRA AMCOS open applications for new female mentoring program
As part of a firm commitment toward gender parity in their membership ranks, APRA AMCOS will pilot four new mentorship placements in Perth, Western Australia for emerging female songwriters embarking on their first major project.
This opportunity is designed to support the mentees holistically with:
- practical advice on establishing a career
- guidance on expanding and honing the songwriter’s craft
- assisting with planning and carrying out their first major project
The program is initiated by Tenille Elkins, WA Senior Writer Services Rep. “I’ve been fortunate to have worked at APRA AMCOS for 16 years and to have Lectured in Music Industry Skills at TAFE for close to ten. In that time I’ve spoken to a countless number of people in the early stages of their career, who are about to embark on their first major project and are really in need of some guidance,” explains Tenille.
“It can be really daunting in these early stages, and having someone close at hand who can help set some realistic goals, create a plan, help navigate various aspects of the industry, assist with the appropriate contacts, and generally just be there as a sounding board is something that so many people have said they need. This opportunity not only provides mentees with a support person and industry mentors but also a great space to pursue the business side of their goals and alongside other like-minded, driven individuals.
We wanted to give participants the best opportunity to succeed and have allocated six months to the project. If (when!) it proves to be successful then we’ll look at rolling it out around the country. I’m excited to see the applications come in.” said Tenille.
What does a mentorship include?
- Desk space on Mondays and Tuesdays at Cleaver Street & Co, expenses covered by APRA AMCOS for a five month period, 16 July – 18 December 2018.
- Guidance on both days by APRA AMCOS Senior Writer Services Representative Tenille Elkins. Tenille is entering her 17th year at APRA AMCOS and is in her tenth year Lecturing Music
- Industry Skills at Leederville TAFE and is also an active songwriter and musician.
- Access to a range of other industry mentors who will be selected upon suitability to the mentees’ goals.
- A small budget to partially assist with one aspect of the project. Please note that this is not designed to cover any part of the recording process but is designed to contribute to the marketing and promotion of the event/project.
*Please note that if successful you will need to provide your own laptop to work from. If you don’t already have access to one, hiring might be an affordable option for you. As you will be working closely alongside three other artists, it is expected that you will be willing to support, learn and encourage each other.
Applications open: 19 June 2018
Applications close: 6 July 2018, 5pm
Recipient announced: July 2018
Mentorship commences: Monday 16th July
Mentorship concludes: Tuesday 18th December (project must be complete by this date)
Acquittal timeframe: Thursday 31st January 2019