WAM's Song Of The Year is an annual competition, promoting the talented, original songwriting of West Australian residents and embracing contemporary music of all genres, in addition to offering school-age, indigenous and regional categories. The songs are anonymously and independently judged by an expansive range of music industry experts, with the winner of each category also in the running for the Grand Prize. This arrangement presents a rare exposure opportunity for WA songwriters; their talents are showcased directly to leading industry practitioners, encouraging real opportunities for the songwriters’ music careers. The winners are announced at an Awards Night, further showcasing homegrown talent playing live on the night to an audience comprised of fans and industry alike.
2016/17 WAM Song Of The Year competition now open
After another massive year, WAM is looking forward to rewarding the best music written by WA songwriters in 2016, in what’s now one of Australia’s biggest songwriting competitions. Independently judged, WAM Song Of The Year 16/17 is now open for submissions til Thursday 9 February, with over $40,000 worth of prizes on offer to WA songwriters of all ages, levels and genres.
There are 16 categories, each offering winners:
- a $500 cash prize
- studio time with WA’s best (as listed below)
- and more!
Then if you win a category you’ll also have the chance to be crowned this year’s Song Of The Year Grand Prize winner, walking away with a huge prize package including:
- $3,000 cash
- a three-day recording and production session with one of Australia’s most high profile producers, Anna Laverty
- the opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus an online tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 12-month Spotify subscriptions for you and your fellow songwriters
- a National Media Servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- a RØDE microphone package
- expert promo & radio plugging assessment and consultation from renown Sydney-based publicist, John Zucco, from The Right Profile
- $1,100 towards your next CD pressing plus one year’s worth of digital distribution from Diskbank
- a state-of-the-art Audiofly in-ear monitors package valued at $1,200
- a guaranteed prime spot on the 2017 WAMFest line-up
WAM gratefully acknowledges the fantastic support of our 2015/16 Song Of The Year key partners.
Full list of partners here and studio sponsors here.
2015/16 AWARD WINNERS
At the close of the 2015/16 WAM Song Of The Year Awards Party it was Beni Bjah - with his song Survivor – holding the coveted Grand Prize. The win marks a significant moment in the competition’s history, with Beni being the first-ever Indigenous artist to take the peak honours. The full list of winners reflect the extraordinary depth of WA songwriting talent, featuring an inspiring mix ranging from established leaders in their genres (including WA Music Award and past #WAMSOTY winners) to exciting revelations of artists with big futures ahead.
2015/16 SOTY Winners
2014/15 SOTY Winners
2013/14 SOTY Winners