WAMFEST: Kiss My Camera Competition Opens + Q&A Forum & Awards Party
As part of the 2017 WAMFest presented by Drug Aware, WA’s fave music photography competition Kiss My Camera returns! 2016 marked the return of the competition after a 3-year hiatus, seeing record-breaking entries. Under the direction of fellow photographers, KMC Co-ordinator Linda Dunjey has helped drive a number of new developments, including a much-needed workshop for music photographers, an awards party that everyone can snap onto (and which doubles as the official WAMFest Opening Party), and a completely WA act-focused competition.
KISS MY CAMERA COMPETITION 2017
Once again, WAM are teaming up with the Perth Cultural Centre Screen run by the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority, yet also also expanding to the Northbridge Piazza Screen. The exhibition will see shortlisted photographs of only WA acts – both live and press shots – taken in WA by amateur and professional photographers from WA displayed on both screens, with tens of thousands being impressed by selected photos over a number of weeks.
Apart from the comp helping WA photographers being exposed to much wider audiences and industry heavyweights, there are also a stack of prizes for the winners. This year we have three categories that a photographer can enter: “Best Live Photograph”, “Best Portrait/Press Shot” and for the first time “Best Phone Snap,” meaning really everyone can be a part of the snapction!
It’s FREE for anyone to enter, and the winners of both the Best Live Photograph and the Best Press Shot categories will each win the following prize pack, thanks to our generous #KissMyCamera sponsors:
- 8 hours studio time at Chris Huzzard Studios, worth up to $1,100 (including use of different rooms, cycloramas, backgrounds, and lighting equipment and advice).
- 2x $100 E vouchers for Leederville Cameras, that can be printed out and used instore or online.
- Feature on Music Insight website and social media, including details of the winner’s work and an interview
- Perth Centre for Photography membership for 3 years (includes exhibition invitations, opportunities, discounted workshops, photographer referrals)
- 1 hour one-on-one social media advice session with pros DoReMedia
- 1 hour financial/taxation or general accountancy consultation session from Sorrento Strategic Music
- A 2017 WAMCon Pass (including access to 50+ speakers, events, opportunities and more – November 3-4, during WAMFest)
- 1 year WAM individual membership (includes a stack of discounts and benefits)
- Double pass redeemable at Luna Palace Cinemas
- 1 year Arts Addict Membership with PICA (includes gifts, exhibition invitations, discounted entry to all performances and publications, advanced ticket sales, and more)
The winner of the first ever “Best Phone Snap” category will take home their winning image printed onto a stretched, ready to hang 40x50cm, canvas (worth $173.00), thanks to Churchill Color Labs.
The competition will be judged by music industry legends Bob Gordon, Toni Wilkinson and Duncan Barnes.
ENTRIES CLOSE 11.30PM MONDAY 25 SEPTEMBER
KISS MY CAMERA Q&A FORUM – A WAMFEST WORKSHOP FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Wednesday 1 November (6-8PM), Universal Bar Rooftop
TICKETS: $20 (including free entry to Awards at The Bird afterwards) – on sale soon!
Let’s get snapchatting! The Kiss My Camera Q&A Forum will focus on helping music photographers discuss, navigate and ultimately excel in everything from legal issues to promotion, challenges, new technologies, payments, opportunities and more – really whatever music photographers need to know about. It’s also a rare opportunity for photographers to have a drink and network, out of the pit.
The Q&A Forum will consist of panellists:
- Andrew Fuller – Entertainment Lawyer and band manager (Melbourne)
- Duncan Barnes – Music photographer for The West Australian, Perth Arena, Mellen Events, NIB Stadium and photography lecturer at ECU
- Anni Fordham - Music photographer and owner/editor of Music Insight
- Daniel Grant - Music photographer and successful photography small business owner
- Bob Gordon (MC) – Editor of Around The Sound, and previously of X-Press Magazine
KISS MY CAMERA AWARDS – AND WAMFEST OPENING PARTY!
Wednesday 1 November (8PM-Late), The Bird
Free entry for Kiss My Camera Q&A Forum ticket and WAMCon Pass holders, other door sales TBA.
After the Q&A Forum wraps up at 8pm on Wednesday 1 November, the evening and snappy networking continues at The Bird for WAMFest’s official opening party taking place at The Bird. Free to all Kiss My Camera Q&A Forum ticket holders, the Kiss My Camera Awards will also take place early in the evening, with winners announced by WAM’s CEO Mike Harris. The party then continues with some of WA’s hottest music acts, to be announced soon. Cameras optional…