WAM Song Of The Year announces judges & more prizes
Championing, discovering, boosting and rewarding both new and established WA music artists, all WA bands, acts and producers have only 8 days until entries close for the 2016/17 WAM Song Of The Year competition. Thursday 9 February at 5 pm is the deadline to be in the running to win over $40,000 worth of prizes, plus have your music heard by some of the best…
Entries are judged anonymously and independently to ensure great songwriting shines no matter the achievements, cred etc of acts, and we’re pleased to announce the first round judges, with 44 music industry experts so far confirmed and looking forward to being exposed to burgeoning WA talent.
With some of the highest profile industry experts ever assembled to assess this year’s WAM Song Of The Year entries, we’re excited to reveal the first round of judges includes 17 East Coast/international judges, with music directors, heads and representatives from the likes of Pilerats, Spotify, TheMusic.com.au, Source Music, Parenthèses Records, The Orchard, RTRFM, X-Press Magazine, Firestarter Music, Perfect Pitch Publishing, Maric Media, Nannup Music Festival, Monster Management, Rotunda Media, YouthFocus, Griffith University, Morse Code PR, Sanicki Lawyers, Far Out Distant Sounds, Collective Artists, Source Music, TAFE, plus more announced soon.
FULL LIST OF JUDGES ANNOUNCED SO FAR:
There are 16 categories covering all genres and ages, each offering winners $500 cash prizes and free studio recording time with WA’s best (announced studios here).
If you win a category then you’ll also have the chance to be crowned this year’s Song Of The Year Grand Prize winner, walking away with a huge prize package including:
- $3,000 cash
- a Cool Perth Nights “gold pass” providing free entry to all Cool Perth Nights events at Mojo’s Bar, Four5Nine, Babushka and the Rosemount Hotel for a one month period of your choice (just announced)
- a three-day recording and production session with one of Australia’s most high profile producers, Anna Laverty
- the opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus an online tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 12-month Spotify subscriptions for you and your fellow songwriters
- a National Media Servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- a RØDE microphone package
- expert promo & radio plugging assessment and consultation from renown Sydney-based publicist, John Zucco, from The Right Profile
- $1,100 towards your next CD pressing plus one year’s worth of digital distribution from Diskbank
- a state-of-the-art Audiofly in-ear monitors package valued at $1,200
- a guaranteed prime spot on the 2017 WAMFest line-up
The comp features 16 categories, covering all genres in Blues / Roots, Country, Electronic, Experimental, Folk, Jazz, Metal / Heavy, Punk / Hardcore, Pop, Rock, Urban / Hip Hop and World, plus extra categories for Schools (14 Years & Under), Schools (15-17), Outstanding Indigenous and Outstanding Regional. Each category winner takes away a $500 cash prize and free recording studio time with 16 of WA’s best studios.
A reminder also that your song doesn’t need to be professionally recorded – it can be an unreleased song or demo that you’re hoping to have professionally recorded. As long as it’s a great song then it’s in with a chance to win. And with so much on offer for WA-based songwriters, there’s really no better way to get career-propelling recognition and prizes for your songs than to enter this year’s WAM Song Of The Year!