WAM Song Of The Year 2016/17 opens, offering $40K+ in prizes
One of Australia’s biggest songwriting comps opens, offering over $40,000 worth of prizes.
After another massive year, WAM is looking forward to rewarding the best music written by WA songwriters in 2016, in what’s now one of Australia’s biggest songwriting competitions. Independently judged, WAM Song Of The Year 16/17 is now open for submissions til Thursday 9 February, with over $40,000 worth of prizes on offer to WA songwriters of all ages, levels and genres.
There are 16 categories, each offering winners:
- a $500 cash prize
- studio time with WA’s best (as listed below)
- and more!
Then if you win a category you’ll also have the chance to be crowned this year’s Song Of The Year Grand Prize winner, walking away with a huge prize package including:
- $3,000 cash
- a three-day recording and production session with one of Australia’s most high profile producers, Anna Laverty
- the opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus an online tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 12-month Spotify subscriptions for you and your fellow songwriters
- a National Media Servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- a RØDE microphone package
- expert promo & radio plugging assessment and consultation from renown Sydney-based publicist, John Zucco, from The Right Profile
- $1,100 towards your next CD pressing plus one year’s worth of digital distribution from Diskbank
- a state-of-the-art Audiofly in-ear monitors package valued at $1,200
- a Cool Perth Nights “gold pass” providing free entry to all Cool Perth Nights events at Mojo’s Bar, Four5Nine, Babushka and the Rosemount Hotel for a one month period of your choice
- a guaranteed prime spot on the 2017 WAMFest line-up
WAM is also excited to again be supported by major partner the City of Fremantle for the competition, where the winners will be announced at the Awards Party, debuting at the WA Maritime Museum overlooking the Fremantle Harbour on Wednesday 17 May, 2017.
Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt commented, “Fremantle is well known for its live music scene and the City is proud to support this fantastic event that recognises the song writing talent of our home-grown, original artists.”
Providing huge opportunities for songwriters at all levels of experience – from talented beginners to proven stars – Song Of The Year also offers WA-based songwriters exposure to leading music industry judges and vital recognition by Australian radio and media. The comp features 16 categories, covering all genres in Blues/Roots, Country, Electronic, Experimental, Folk, Jazz, Metal/Heavy, Punk/Hardcore, Pop, Rock, Urban/Hip Hop and World, plus extra categories for Schools (14 Years & Under), Schools (15-17), Outstanding Indigenous and Outstanding Regional.
With so much on offer for WA-based songwriters, there’s really no better way to get career-propelling recognition and prizes for your songs than to enter this year’s WAM Song Of The Year.
Entries close 5pm Thursday 9 February, 2017!
All of this would not be possible without the incredible support from all of this year’s Song Of The Year partners and sponsors, whom WAM would like to thank:
Category Sponsors: Badlands Bar, Country Music Club of Boyup Brook WA, Cool Perth Nights/Mojos, Clancy’s Fish Pub Fremantle, Fairbridge Festival, Nannup Music Festival, Noongar Radio, Sunset Events, The Ellington Jazz Club.
Studio Sponsors: Artisan Music, Blackbird Studio, Crank Recording, Debaser Studio, Foxhole Studios, Fremantle Recording Studios, Poons Head Studios, Rada Studios, Shake Down Studio, Shanghai Twang Studios, Sonic Lolly, Sumo Sound, Templeman Audio, Tone City Recording Studio, Underground Studios, Vision Studios.