WAM Board Member | Invitation to Apply
The West Australian contemporary music sector is home to some of Australia’s biggest and most exciting acts. Valued at over $1 billion, it represents a significant part of the state’s economic and cultural fabric. As the peak body representing the WA music sector, WAM (The West Australian Music Industry Association Incorporated) is responsible for supporting, nurturing, and growing all forms of contemporary music, and has proudly championed this since 1987.
Driven by the board and the executive, and in consultation with key stakeholders, WAM has been progressing through a significant program of transformation to ensure the organisation continues to foster, develop, and elevate the value of contemporary WA music.
WAM is entering into an incredibly exciting new phase, and we are now seeking suitably qualified individuals to join the board and strengthen the work of the current directors with their professional skills.
Our ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate proven qualifications and capability in some or all of the following:
- Relevant professional qualifications, or experience as an independent practicing artist.
- Experience as an advisor, executive or board member in the not-for-profit, charity, or arts and culture sectors.
- Knowledge of a director’s duties and responsibilities – the governance and strategic role of a board, individual directors’ legal, ethical, fiduciary, and financial responsibilities and a broad understanding of regulatory compliance issues.
- Strategic and curious mindset – ability to contribute to effective planning and decision-making through constructive analysis, innovative problem-solving and questioning leading to improved outcomes and organisational growth.
- Financial literacy – read and comprehend accounts and other financial material.
- Risk management – analyse, assess and manage key operational and strategic risks.
- Fundraising – knowledge of funding models and the ability to access networks of influence and create fundraising opportunities.
- A strong network of connections, with skills in relationship building, strategic partnerships and advocacy.
- Completion of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) directors course, or equivalent.
The role is voluntary and will require attendance to approximately 10 Board meetings per year including an annual AGM as well as supporting relevant board sub-committee meetings and attending a range of industry events.
Membership of WAM or willingness to subscribe is essential.
How To Apply
Applications including a board resume and cover letter addressing the key selection criteria, and how you hope to contribute to WAM’s board should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 25 April.
Shortlisted applicants will be requested to submit additional documents and complete a board skills matrix and self-evaluation.
WAM actively supports diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organisation, and we strongly encourage applications from regionally based candidates, First Nations peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds and people living with a disability.