Song of the Year 2020 presented by Act-Belong-Commit Launched!
THE ANNUAL SEARCH FOR WESTERN AUSTRALIA’S BEST SONGS HAS KICKED OFF FOR 2020!
We’re excited to announce the launch of the 2020 Song of the Year Competition! Presented by Act-Belong-Commit, our annual Song of the Year competition aims to recognise and showcase the talent of Western Australia’s songwriters across all genres, levels and ages. Now in its 32nd year, the competition presents a rare exposure opportunity for WA songwriters to have their music heard by Industry professionals and bolster their careers with over $45K in prizes on offer. With previous winners of the competition including Stella Donnelly, Beni Bjah, Kučka, Little Birdy, Abbe May, Luke Steele and Carla Geneve, we’re excited to once again share this career-propelling opportunity with the WA music community!
The competition is open to all West Australian songwriters, bands, and producers from 12pm WST Monday 10 February to 5pm WST Thursday 12 March. This year’s competition features 17 categories, including; Blues/Roots, Country, Electronic, Experimental, Folk, Jazz, Metal/Heavy, Punk/Hardcore, Pop, Rock, Urban/Hip Hop, Global and Act-Belong-Commit, plus extra categories for Schools 14 Years & Under, Schools 15-17, Outstanding Indigenous and Outstanding Regional. All winners will be celebrated at the Song of the Year Awards Night, with one song selected to win the coveted grand prize.
We’re excited to once again be working alongside Healthway to share the value of the Act-Belong-Commit message and its importance within the music community. Introduced in last year’s competition, the Act-Belong-Commit song category welcomes songs of any genre that explore the relationship between mental wellbeing and the A-B-C message – from talking about the importance of community and connectedness, the journey to improve your mental health and lifestyle, or the enjoyment in having attained this.
Healthway CEO Susan Hunt PSM, said that Healthway was proud to support WAM’s Song of the Year through Act-Belong-Commit to help raise awareness about positive mental health in the music industry, saying “It is the perfect platform to connect artists with each other, express their emotions and creativity, and celebrate the joy of music with the WA community”.
2020 sees an incredible set of prizes on offer to support winners in their future music endeavours. Entrants also have the opportunity to receive personalised feedback on their songs from leading music minds Anna Laverty, Joel Quartermain (Eskimo Joe), Sam Ford (Tone City Recording Studio) and Tenille Elkins (APRA AMCOS/NM TAFE) via the song evaluation option.
Grand prize includes:
- $3,000 cash
- 100 x colour vinyl 7 inches pressed courtesy of Rhubarb Records & XVinylX
- Radio ad campaign from RTRFM
- A two-day recording and production session with Best Sound Engineer/Producer (studio) WAMAward recipient, Andy Lawson of Debaser Studio
- A national media servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- A 6-hour graphic design package courtesy of Red Room design studio
- 500 posters distributed by The Poster Girls
- The opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus a tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 1 complimentary 1 x night’s stay at the Alex Hotel
- An e965 Vocal Condenser Microphone and one set of HD 300 PRO Headphones courtesy of Sennheiser
- 20 tapes pressed courtesy of Space Cassette
- Four sets of Audiofly Pro’s state-of-the-art dual hybrid AF120 MK2 in-ear monitors (valued at $1,200)
- Photo shoot including photo editing from music photographer Cam Campbell from @placeorpoint
- A $500 rehearsal voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios
- WAMFest 2020 performance offer
- Two passes to WAMCon 2020
The first runner up will receive a $1,500 cash prize, a $200 voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios, and an e935 Vocal Dynamic Microphone and set of HD 280 PRO Headphones courtesy of Sennheiser. The second runner up will receive a $1,000 cash prize towards their next career move and a $100 voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios, plus both runner ups will receive two passes to WAMCon 2020 each.
Category prizes include:
- $500 cash prize and a free day of recording or mixing with some of WA’s best recording engineers and producers
Entries for Song of the Year 2020 presented by Act-Belong-Commit are open from 12pm AWST Monday 10 February to 5pm AWST Thursday 12 March via the Song of the Year website.
SO ,WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
We’d like to acknowledge the incredible support of the Song of the Year 2020 partners and supporters. You can find out more about our partners and how they contribute to the community here.
PRESENTING PARTNER | Healthway, Act-Belong-Commit
ASSOCIATE PARTNERS | APRA AMCOS
CATEGORY SPONSORS | Clancy’s Fish Pub Fremantle, Country Music Club of Boyup Brook, Fairbridge Festival, Freo Social Hall, Nannup Music Festival.
PRIZE SPONSORS | Alex Hotel, Audiofly, Debaser Studio, Firestarter Music, Pen Cap Chew Studios, Perfect Pitch Publishing, @placeorpoint, Red Room Design, Rhubarb Records/XVinylX, Sennheiser, Space Cassette, The Poster Girls, RTRFM.
STUDIO SPONSORS | Artisan Music, Blackbird Sound Studio, Blondel Recording Studios, Crank Recording, Debaser Studio, Fremantle Recording Studios, Hopping Mouse Studios, Lolly Box Music, Pavement Studios, Poons Head Studios, Real2Reel/James Newhouse, Shanghai Twang Studios, Sumo Sound Studios, Templeman Audio, Tone City Recording Studio, Tunafish Recording Company.