Applications opening for acts and filmmakers for SXSW
With dates announced for the 2016 SxSW event announced as March 11-16 for South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival and March 15-20 for the SxSW Music Festival, submissions open for acts to showcase and for filmmakers to apply for exhibition of new productions from June 29. In addition ‘Panel Picker‘ submission open June 29 for the community to enter proposals for conference activities (panels & topics, speaker presentations, discussions, demonstrations, etc).
In its 30th year, SxSW Music Festival invites Australian contemporary musicians and bands to apply via Sonicbids for a critical showcase slot. Showcasing at SXSW means performing in one of Austin’s famous live music venues, for over 30,000 industry representatives and fellow musicians combined, plus nearly 3,000 media members and thousands of fans in attendance. Apply for the opportunity to play with acts from all over world. Of the 2,200-plus showcasing artists in 2015, nearly 600 international acts performed, representing 62 different countries. By opening the application process earlier, we aim to give more attention to each applicant and notify bands of their status sooner than in previous years.
SXSW Music has been a major global launch platform for Australian bands to the world with 47 official artists from Australia in 2015 out of more than 250 applied and 70 invited. Each played one ‘official’ showcase in addition to the many daytime label, brand and special event parties as well as the famous Aussie BBQ two-stage concert with 22 artists promoted by SoundsAustralia. Additionally there were over 750 paid delegates for the Music, Film and Interactive Festivals and Conferences making an Australian contingent of over 1050 including musicians and crew–the largest number of Australians in one place at one time since the 1996 Olympics in 1996.
STATISTICS FOR SXSW MUSIC 2015:
* Music Festival Showcasing Acts: 2,266; International acts: 573 from 62 foreign countries
* Music Festival Stages: 107
* Music Festival Acts That Applied: 8,026
* Music Conference Participants Including Registrants and Artist Wristbands: 30,308 (from 78 foreign countries)
* Music Conference Sessions: 233
* Music Conference Speakers: 885
* Music Media in Attendance (approximate): 2,993
In its 22nd year, SXSW Film Festival is at the forefront of discovery, creativity, and innovation in film at a time when it is increasingly important that business and entrepreneurial savvy partner with artistry and aesthetic sensibility. SXSW attracts true film lovers — press, filmmakers, industry leaders and die-hard fans alike – while boldly tackling the evolution of all aspects of today’s “film,” right down to its very definition.
From conversations with today’s most talented creators, to one-on-one mentor sessions with industry experts, the SXSW Film Conference brings together the best and the brightest from all spectrums of the Film industry into one vibrant community. SXSW Film Festival programming ranges from independent fiction by striking new filmmakers to documentaries, Hollywood comedies and genre standouts that blow the roof off the theater.
STATISTICS FOR SXSW FILM 2015:
* Film Conference Participants: 20,252 (from 71 foreign countries)
* Film Conference Sessions: 250
* Film Conference Speakers: 735
* Films Screened: 150 Features; 106 Curated Shorts (from 7,361 Submissions)
* Film Festival World Premieres: 102; North American Premieres: 14; US Premieres: 11
* Film Festival Attendance: 76,655
* Film Media in Attendance (approximate): 2,251
For further information, graphics and interviews, contact SXSW’s 13 year representative Phil Tripp on (041) 22 666 77 or t[email protected]